Daniel Thompson: Phenomenology of Prayer Blog 1

One of the main themes in Phenomenology of Prayer is that people should praise God in their prayers rather than just ask for things. Jill Robins lists the following scriptures from the Bible to emphasize this, ""If I find favor in the eyes of the LORD, he will bring me back and let me see both it and the place where it stays. But if he says, ‘I take no pleasure in you,’ here I am, let him do to me what seems good to him’’ (2 Sam. 15:25–26). Job says, ‘‘I belong to you.’’ David says, ‘‘I am at your disposal.’’ And Mary says, ‘‘Let it be with me according to your word.’’" In all these examples the person subjects themselves to the will of God. This shows understanding and respect towards God as the supreme authority. Simply asking for God's will to be done is something few probably ask for, since they think their own desires are what they want. Yet only God knows what's best for each person and so allowing him to guide one's life is a testament of faith.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ásatrú Temple in Iceland

Landscapes of the Sacred 2

Kelly Cooke: route 66 12/5